What are consequences (the lack of freedom on the USA)

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Thu Sep 25 14:34:52 UTC 2003

Havoc Pennington wrote:

>>That is OPINION. I like Xine's UI. I also like the ogle gui. I relly
>>like that I'm not forced to use it. A replacement could be developed
>>that I might like better. I have no problem deling with multiple
>>toolkits. I work with GNOME, GTK+, Motif, and Xt based apps all the
>>time. I have NO problems using any of them.
>
> It's great to have variety, but there are some technical issues with
> apps that don't use the standard toolkits that lead us to prefer
> toolkit-using apps as the defaults.

"prefered" apps is fine by me. I'm not forced to use the "prefered" one.
I can pick the one I want to use, just like I can choose a kernel.org or
-ac kernel, or run mozilla 1.2 when Red Hat supported 1.0.x.

The point being, toolkit choice does not make an app ugly or bad. The
fact that it looks/acts different also doesn't make it bad. Personaly I
like variety, and have no problems dealing with it. I dislike the
"everything looks the same" world of M$ and Mac. Se previous message and
discussion of car interiors.

	-Thomas