how do enable these TCP ports for Bittorrent?

Taylor, ForrestX forrestx.taylor at intel.com
Thu Sep 25 19:30:28 UTC 2003

Elton Woo wrote:
>  Allow incoming TCP 6881 - 6889 to join the torrent swarm.
>
> http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/
>
> I thought this might be a good time to try using / learn to use
> Bittorrent. The red hat 9 rpm pacakage is already installed,
> but I don't know if /how to enable the above ports.
> If I go to security settings, I *know* that just saying TCP
> is a trusted device will open all ports.
>
> .... I guess this is something else I ought have learned to
> do <*blush*> so feel free to rap me on the knuckles if
> I'm asking a stupid / annoying question!
>
> Elton ;-)

RAP...RAP...just kidding.  This is actually a very poignant question,
because it doesn't look like there is a way to do it using
redhat-config-securitylevel.  I usually do it with kickstart, passing
the --port=6881:tcp option to the firewall line.  I tried doing that to
redhat-config-securitylevel, to no avail.

So, you can edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables by hand and add a line like
this _before_ the REJECT lines:

-A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 6881:6889 --syn -j ACCEPT

This is definitely worth a bugzilla entry.

Forrest