Performance testing (pass 1)

Stephan Schutter rhl at farorbit.com
Fri Sep 26 14:10:34 UTC 2003

I compared Windows XP and RHL 9 on a Dell Laptop (C610)

CPU:	1000MHZ
RAM:	256MB

Software:

OS:	WinXP			RHL 9
	Open office		OpenOffice
	MS Office 2k		MS Office 2k

Software startup times:
		WinXP		RHL 9
		  (s)		 (s)
OS bootup	37		70
Login		8		21
Def Browser	1		7
Word 2k		4		6
Open Office	10		21
Def TextEdit	1		3
File Browser	1.5		1.5

Timings are average of 5 launches. Word on linux, suprisingly, is snappier
than OpenOffice... Open Office is faster on Windows than linux...

Soooo.... do I need to ask?

1. If Open Source writes better software; then why is it fatter and
slower?

2. Is any one at RHL working on desktop performance?

These are some of the sugestione that I may need to answe to when I
present this and further data to my managers. Gys... what should I say?

One of the original sugestions of why to use Linux is that it could buy
you longer life on the old hardware... this does not seem to be the case.