beta 1 laptop install and fix

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 14:18:14 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 09:57, Craig Ringer wrote:

> >> Not just you.
> >> I've noticed it too.
> >>
> > me too - which makes me happy coz rh9 is a bit of a slugger on my machine.
>
> Any information on what may be behind the performance improvements?
>
> Smaller binaries (hence less disk I/O)?
> More efficient app init (esp GNOME/KDE)?
> Memory footprint reduction?
> Compiler changes?
> (insert other blind guesses here)
>
> I'm interested, as much as anything to know whether it actually affects
> me (long-time XFCE4 user, don't like GNOME/KDE).

Any gains in interative "feel" between Red Hat Linux 9 and Beta2 are
very likely kernel changes. A compiler change that sped everything up
10% would be close to a miracle, and wouldn't have a noticeable
effect on most operations.

GNOME and KDE have not undergone any fundemental changes since RHL 9
(GNOME 2.2 => GNOME 2.4 is mostly features in individual apps.)

Changes in kernel scheduling and VM/IO policy can have quite a
noticeable effect on overall feel; unfortunately, a gain in one place
may well be a loss somewhere else... it's not something that can be
easily quantified and measured.

Regards,
					Owen