test2 initial reactions

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Fri Sep 26 15:15:29 UTC 2003

> On Friday 26 September 2003 10:51, Michael Fulbright wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 05:28, Gene C. wrote:
> > > 1. Option for selecting individual packages during install seems to be
> > > missing (bugzilla 105646).
> >
> > Intentional. We recommend using redhat-config-packages if you have
> > additional software to install not covered by the component groups
> > screen.  We're going to a model where everything interesting (as the
> > designer of the comps file deems it) has to be in a component group in
> > the comps file.  I think it makes more sense for interactive use to get
> > through the install quickly w/o alot of questions and then use a tool
> > designed for the task (in this case, redhat-config-packages) to complete
> > the operation.

This would be fine except that, after an upgrade from RHL 9,
redhat-config-packges still seems to think that RHL 9 is installed instead
of Fedora Core 0.94.  That is, the packages and groups it lists as choices to
add are still those of RHL 9, including removed packages like LPRng.
(This also leads to things like package groups being listed as "not installed"
due to the removal of packages like libunicode-devel.)

John Thacker