0.94 first impressions

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson at lopht.net
Fri Sep 26 15:26:31 UTC 2003

Michael Fulbright wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 20:02, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:

[snip]

> Option #2. Though what you're asking for might not be too hard to do.
>
> I'd like to change the networking configuration in anaconda to like it
> used to be pre-7 I think, ie. you only configure the network devices
> required to do the install. If you do a CD install you don't get asked
> to configure networking at all. I think this makes more sense to be
> something you do on firstboot. That way you can use the tool we've
> designed specifically for the task, not a 1000 line python tool we
> hacked into anaconda.

casting my vote for this option (having only network config needed for
installdone by anaconda), see below

> Of course I'm pretty fanatical about this concept - I'd like to make
> anaconda install just enough software so you can then reboot and run
> redhat-config-packages to choose all the remaining software you want.
> That way we could put all our effort into that tool which you will use
> many times, instead of the installer which you use once every many many
> months.

I like this idea, it gives you a functional (booting) system faster. In the
event that you have a machine with problematic hardware, or some part of the
boot stuff didn't install right, you don't have to wait for a bunch of extra
software to be installed to find out. And you have less stuff to be suspicious
of. Is there an RFE for this in bugzilla? Does the RH bugzilla iste have voting
enabled? Since this is Fedora Core, is this mailing list the best place for the
community to decide the direction?