Performance testing (pass 1)

Stephan Schutter rhl at farorbit.com
Fri Sep 26 19:21:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Joe wrote:

> Stephan Schutter wrote:
>
> >I compared Windows XP and RHL 9 on a Dell Laptop (C610)
> >
> >CPU:	1000MHZ
> >RAM:	256MB
> >
> >Software:
> >
> >OS:	WinXP			RHL 9
> >	Open office		OpenOffice
> >	MS Office 2k		MS Office 2k
> >

> >Software startup times:
> >		WinXP		RHL 9
> >		  (s)		 (s)
> >OS bootup	37		70
> >Login		8		20
> This suggests problems with your setup - just for giggles I checked my
> celeron 1200 and it took all of 8 seconds from login to fully populated
> desktop including gkrellm -

Me too if I do not reboot inbetween...

> >Def Browser	1		7
> >
> OK, close, it took 6 seconds for moz to come up for me - but moz has
> never been about quick startup.
OK so you have 200 MHZ on top of me...

> >Word 2k		4		6
> >Open Office	10		21
> >
> oo  is slow indeed, and is my main complaint - but I hear SO7 et al are
> much faster at startup
>
> >Def TextEdit	1		3
> >
> took 1 second here
>
> Your system may need the standard tweaks, the long login time especially
> suggests basic configuration issues.

Both windows and Linux were configured using DEFAULTS. Perhapps They need
to be reviewed?

> >1. If Open Source writes better software; then why is it fatter and
> >slower?
> >
> In most cases it is neither fatter nor slower - one might well ask why,

Open office was slower on Linux than Windows.

> if windows nt/2k is so efficient, why can it not even boot up on a low
> end system which could be used to run a website, or a
> firewall/dns/dhcp/vpn/router box with linux? on the other hand, desktop
> apps are microsoft's forte, and have been their focus for many years -
> you find it suprising that one of the wealthiest and most fanatically
> driven corporations has been able to make their desktop apps snappy?
>
> One thing that people fail to realize is that X11 is fairly heavyweight
soooo... this makes it a good choice for the desktop GUI???

> - it's a complex and sophisticated client/server, network-transparent
> windowing system, whereas on windows you have a simple pc gui:
> single-user, and local-only.  you're not really comparing apples to apples.

WinXP is multi user. Like 2000 server it has RDP and supports multiple
logins... 2000 server (in app mode) and XP (app mode is disabled in the
registry) 2003 (app) all have the multiuser kernel. so apples are
apples. :=)

> Even so, linux desktop performance is not bad, apart from pathological
> cases like yours - and is getting better. Just as all the  server room
> shortcomings were addressed, so now the desktop shortcomings are being
> addressed.

I gave a RHL CD set to one of my coleagues and the first thing out of his
mouth was: "it's slow". Hows that for first impressions?