beta 1 laptop install and fix

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Sep 26 19:34:07 UTC 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 13:30, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> One possibility, especially if you were comparing to an up2date kernel
> from test1 (only a week's worth of changes, basically), would be that
> the scheduler interactivity changes that were just accepted into Linus's
> tree in the 2.6.0-test kernels were backported.  (A think-o in that
> backport is what caused the SMP instability and has now been fixed in
> the packages at http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/severn/)

> We at least think we can really notice the difference.

I can notice a perceptable difference in speed on my Sony FXA-49 laptop.
Perceptable usually translates to greater than 10%, IME.

The fonts are different, though.  (upgrade from RHL9 to FC0.94)  Thinner;
smaller; but not bad.  Some of the icons in the panel (KDE) are ugly, though.

Crossover office appears to work OK, too.  Which is good, since I am a heavy
Visio 5.0 user (Visio 5 won't even install on WinXP, much less run, but it
runs fine on Crossover office on the new FC0.94).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology