beta 1 laptop install and fix

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 19:48:13 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 15:34, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday 26 September 2003 13:30, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> > One possibility, especially if you were comparing to an up2date kernel
> > from test1 (only a week's worth of changes, basically), would be that
> > the scheduler interactivity changes that were just accepted into Linus's
> > tree in the 2.6.0-test kernels were backported.  (A think-o in that
> > backport is what caused the SMP instability and has now been fixed in
> > the packages at http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/severn/)
>
> > We at least think we can really notice the difference.
>
> I can notice a perceptable difference in speed on my Sony FXA-49 laptop.
> Perceptable usually translates to greater than 10%, IME.
>
> The fonts are different, though.  (upgrade from RHL9 to FC0.94)  Thinner;
> smaller; but not bad.

The final will actually look more like RHL9 - I tracked down a problem
with using the wrong set of Luxi fonts last week, but didn't have a
chance to build it into the Cambridge tree before Beta2 was pusehd.

If you edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and remove
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF</dir> you should get the correct
appearance.

Regards,
						Owen