Network: "Hisax device eth0"

Christoph Wickert wickert at muenster.de
Sat Sep 27 01:34:19 UTC 2003

Hi!

> [root at hal9000 root]# ifup eth0
> /sbin/ifup: configuration for eth0 not found.

but config for eth0 existed and was ok. After starting
redhat-config-network, it seemed to work.

> [root at hal9000 root]# ifup eth0
> [root at hal9000 root]# ifconfig
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

no eth0, but now i've got a new eth1!

> [root at hal9000 root]# /etc/init.d/network restart
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> Setting network parameters:                                [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth1:  hisax device eth1 does not seem to be
> present, delaying initialization.
>                                                            [FAILED]
> [root at hal9000 root]# route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
> Use Iface
> 169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 lo
> 127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo

Why "hisax device eth1"??? I've a Fritzcard PCI ISDN Card, but that is
configured properly as ippp0.

Have there been any significant changes in the networking-skripts since
RH9A?

Christoph

--
"Wenn zu perfekt - Gott böse."