Performance testing (pass 1)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Sat Sep 27 13:45:26 UTC 2003

Quoting Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>:

> On Saturday 27 September 2003 08:58 am, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > Dunno, kudos to Wine folks I guess.. if an "emulated" application starts
> up
> > and runs faster than a "native" one... what can I say :-/
>
> Wine Is Not an Emulator.  It is an API translator, and acts as a relatively
>
> (given what it does) thin one at that.  Word on Linux should be nearly as
> fast
> as Word on Windows; and I have in fact verified that.

Notice the quotation marks around "emulated"... MS Office for Windows on Linux
isn't exactly a native application, regardless of what Wine is called.

In this context I don't care if it emulates, translates API's or whatever, the
point is MS Office through Wine starts+runs sickeningly much faster than OO and
the usual explanations of Windows preloading stuff don't apply even.

The obvious real point is that OO, as of 1.0.x, is hideously slow and I guess
nobody can disagree with that :-/ Hopefully 1.1 is as much faster as some
reviews have suggested (haven't tried it myself yet) and that it makes it into
Fedora Core sooner than later.

--
    - Panu -