Performance testing (pass 1)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Sep 27 13:52:13 UTC 2003

> The obvious real point is that OO, as of 1.0.x, is hideously slow and I guess
> nobody can disagree with that :-/ Hopefully 1.1 is as much faster as some
> reviews have suggested (haven't tried it myself yet) and that it makes it into
> Fedora Core sooner than later.

Admittedly it's a special case, but when I moved to OO.o 1.1 (I know
it's still RC - but it's more stable and just better for our needs) on
the LTSP server at work, I had to disable the splash screen. Not because
it got in the way, but because it never got to finish displaying before
the main window drew, and looked confusing.

Admittedly it's a special case - a dual xeon with multiple OO.o
instances so most of the libraries are already loaded - but it's still a
_lot_ faster than before. Enough so that I suspect much of the startup
time in normal configurations will be loading libraries, rather than app
init.

There are quite a few outstanding issues with 1.1, so I wouldn't suggest
it for everybody - but if it works well for your needs, it's a lot nicer.

Craig Ringer