more comments on Fedora Core

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Sep 27 20:36:51 UTC 2003

On Saturday 27 September 2003 04:26 pm, Elton Woo wrote:
> Gripe 1: why oh, *why* does sendmail take so looooooog to boot?
> Except for this stick in the mud, everything else boots fast  ... on an
> AMD ...

DNS issues?  I have an Athlon notebook here that does not exhibit this
problem, but the classical 'Sendmail takes a long time' is a DNS deal, IIRC,
even on a machine not connected to the net.

> Gripe 2: smartd ... *really*???  I thought it caused the *two* kernel
> oopses because I left a diskette in the ls-120 (/dev/hdc) drive.
> It also complains of read errors on the *empty* drive, as well as the
> other _empty_ DVD (/dev/hdd) and CDRW (/dev/hdc) drives.

I see an error from my CD/RW drive from smartd too, but the boot continues.

> P.S.  Am I the only one who's thinking that maybe Severn and
> (now) Fedora Core doesn't like Athlons??

It seems to like mine: Sony VAIO FXA-49 notebook, latest BIOS.  Athlon 4 1.2G
512MB RAM 40GB IBM/Hitachi 5400RPM ATA100 drive ATI M1 Mobility video 15.1
TFT display CD/RW.  RTL8139 Ethernet.  All the hardware seems to work fine.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology