fedora test2: ACPI failure on Sony laptop

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sat Sep 27 22:31:33 UTC 2003

G Schneider wrote:
> I installed fedora test2 on a Sony GRX700 laptop:
>
> ACPI does not work. It works fine on severn beta1 and
> on RH9 + vanilla 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> If I try loading the acpi related modules I get errors
> like
>
> # /sbin/modprobe ac
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2061.nptl/kernel/drivers/acpi/ac.o:
> init_module: No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
> parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>       You may find more information in syslog or the
> output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2061.nptl/kernel/drivers/acpi/ac.o:
> insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2061.nptl/kernel/drivers/acpi/ac.o
> failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2061.nptl/kernel/drivers/acpi/ac.o:
> insmod ac failed
>
> in dmesg I find the line
>
> ACPI: Subsystem revision 20030916
> ACPI: Interpreter disabled. <======
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfd9ca, last
> bus=2
>
> Instead apm is running, including the apmd daemon. Of
> course on this laptop acpi is necessary for almost
> everything.

I just chose the battery ICON from the panel and it was not wrking until
I modprobed battery and ac.

I then ran insmod ac and insmod battery. It came back that they were
already loaded.

BTW - The battery ICON worked right after running only modprobe on the
two modules.

Have you tried to simply run modprobe for the modules. I had trouble on
a prior computer with insmod, but it worked when modprobing instead.

ACPI is a VERY important thing to have working on this laptop also.

Jim

Upgrading to Fedora core:

2 machines upgraded from Rawhide to severn. One PIII desktop, 24
packages installed.

For this laptop (ACPI critical) 22 packages installed. Both work great,
after upgrades.

--
The computer industry is journalists in their 20's standing in awe of
entrepreneurs in their 30's who are hiring salesmen in their 40's and