why have I lost gedit???

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sun Sep 28 00:11:56 UTC 2003

On September 27, 2003 07:58 pm, Jesse Keating <Jesse Keating
<hosting at j2solutions.net>> wrote:
> On Saturday, Sep 27, 2003, at 16:51 US/Pacific, Elton Woo wrote:
> > I recently installed the NVidia drivers, using export
> > IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
> > in order for the module to be complied with the default Fedora kernel.
>
> You should have changed the $CC variable instead to the version of gcc
> included with Fedora that matches the gcc that was used to compile the
> kernel.  Mismatching GCCs for kernel modules can lead to breakage.

... erm, well the Nvidia drivers *did* compile using "IGNORE..." It's
after posting the message, I realised that I had not re-edited
/etc/X11/XF86Config. I've done so, and just rebooted.
Now gedit runs again from the menu, and from a console
window.

> For that matter, I don't know if anybody should be using Nvidia drivers
> with the beta, as it will corrupt any reasonable kernel issue found, as
> it will be tainted.
Good point. However, I think I can safely say that those of us who
are using the nVidia drivers have made it a point of mentioning this
in any bug reports, and the Red Hatters are taking this into account.

In any case, I was able to boot into the system, after re-editing
inittab to do a graphical login. I had simply forgotten the extra step
of modifying XF86Config.

<*WHEW*>!!!
... escaped by the skin of my teeth!
Elton ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.