more comments on Fedora Core

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sun Sep 28 00:18:22 UTC 2003

On September 27, 2003 08:08 pm, Dave Ashby <Dave Ashby
<dave.ashby at 1993.usna.com>> wrote:

> Make sure the first line in your /etc/hosts file is 127.0.0.1 and your
> box name (technically FQN and then nickname). If you have other entries
> above it, sendmail will hang during boot.

My /etc/hosts file:
127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
127.0.0.1	dhcp-133-74		localhost

Sendmail doesn't hang, it just takes so bloody looong! I've just
disabled it from startup services, and the boot process is much,
MUCH quicker!!

> >Gripe 2: smartd ... *really*???  I thought it caused the *two* kernel
> >oopses because I left a diskette in the ls-120 (/dev/hdc) drive.
> >It also complains of read errors on the *empty* drive, as well as the
> >other _empty_ DVD (/dev/hdd) and CDRW (/dev/hdc) drives.
> >
> >The "three-finger salute" doesn't help, only hitting the reset button
> >does... :-(
>
> I get this too, but doesn't hang startup. I've had issues in the past
> with kudzu hanging my startup - maybe disable kudzu and try again??

The hang was result of the oopses. However, I get your point.
Once Fedora is installed, I don't really need kudzu, since I don't do
hardware changes ( ...at the most, probably the addition of a new
peripheral once a year or so... ).

I've just disabled kudzu, so that ought to shorten boot time even
more. Thanks!

Elton ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.