more comments on Fedora Core

Dave Ashby dave.ashby at 1993.usna.com
Sun Sep 28 00:55:59 UTC 2003

Elton Woo wrote:

>On September 27, 2003 08:08 pm, Dave Ashby <Dave Ashby
><dave.ashby at 1993.usna.com>> wrote:
>

>>Make sure the first line in your /etc/hosts file is 127.0.0.1 and your
>>box name (technically FQN and then nickname). If you have other entries
>>above it, sendmail will hang during boot.
>>

>My /etc/hosts file:
># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
># that require network functionality will fail.
>127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
>127.0.0.1	dhcp-133-74		localhost
>
>Sendmail doesn't hang, it just takes so bloody looong! I've just
>disabled it from startup services, and the boot process is much,
>MUCH quicker!!

Sorry if my misspeak confused you - Sendmail should eventually recover
and move on, it just takes a while. I had similar observable until I
moved my localhost entry from last line of /etc/hosts to first line. It
looks like this now:

127.0.0.1       Seminole.cxm    Seminole
192.168.1.101   Seminole        Seminole

I'm thinking the double entry for 127.0.0.1 is what is hanging you up.
-dave