ACPI and reboot problems solved

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Sun Sep 28 01:40:38 UTC 2003

Well, I fixed my laptop and now the power button not only runs the
shutdown command properly, but the computer actually shuts all the way
down properly.  Also, the 3-finger solute and the reboot command now
work as expected.

Seems I did something very stupid.  Instead of backing up my files over
the network and moving them back after install, I decided to simply try
renaming /etc, /home and /root and removing /var, /usr/ /bin, /sbin and
a fiew other things that I new if left in place would cause conflicts.
Then I installed the test release without formatting the / partition.
Apparently, there were still conflicts for some reason.  I discovered
that the file /etc/redhat-release and rpm -qi redhat-release said 2
different things.  I then actually copied all the omportant stuff to my
server and reinstalled, this time formatting all partitions, and this
time, SUCCESS!  So far, everything that I was having trouble with is
working as expected.

Now to see if I still get the error in the Gnome volume control...

Thanks for the help,
Prince