gcc32 and kgcc

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Sun Sep 28 11:27:59 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 13:20, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:

> I'm still a bit puzzled by the fact that the two latest Rawhide
> kernel-source RPMs still have gcc as their compilers in their Makefiles.
> RedHat certainly did not build kernels in that series using plain gcc,
> since whenever I built a custom kernel I could not get pcmcia to work...

AFAIK, Red Hat's kernel do not use the built-in kernel PCMCIA support,
but they do use the external pcmcia-cs PCMCIA software. You can download
pcmcia-cs from pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net.

On my laptop, built-in kernel PCMCIA support has always caused troubles
when using older 2.4 kernels, so I had to revert to using pcmcia-cs,
which has always worked great.