Fedora Core: initial encounter (RH doesn't like my machine??)

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Sun Sep 28 17:22:53 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 11:54:29AM -0400, Elton Woo wrote:
> On September 28, 2003 10:52 am, Michel Alexandre Salim <Michel Alexandre Salim
> <salimma1 at yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 01:01, Elton Woo wrote:
> > > Bittorrent was *disappointingly slooooow*. I could have latched
> > > on to a mirror and gotten the three CD's much faster using
> > > mozilla.
> >
> > You use *Mozilla* instead of a proper FTP client or a downloader like
> > wget to download ISOs? Wow. You must have a really reliable connection
> >

> I'm on cable, and in addition, I usually pick one of the European or
> Far East sites when the ones in the West are busy. With moz, I'd have
> gotten all three CD's within (at most) 3 1/2 hours, compared to about
> 5 hours with Bittorrent (ver 3.2).

For me, Bittorrent was much, much faster.  I got all three CDs within
45 minutes, compared to an average of 3 hours or so with FTP.  And with
FTP the mirrors are sometimes full.

Ah, cable.  So no doubt your upload speeds are much worse than your
download speeds, yes?  Bittorrent's algorithm effectively penalizes
your download speed for that, since your download speed ends up being
proportional to your upload speed in the end.  The computers with very fast
upload speeds won't want to share with yours that much, since they can't
download from you that quickly, AIUI.

BitTorrent is much closer to Pareto optimal overall, though.  The process
would be eased the more mirror sites (and completed downloads) stayed
connected to be used as seeds for everyone.

John Thacker