can't install on asus a7n8x

Bryan Hepworth bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Sun Sep 28 18:00:49 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Per Bothner" <per at bothner.com>
To: <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 6:30 PM
Subject: can't install on asus a7n8x

> I rather optimistically bought an Asus a7n8x Deluxe
> motherboard (with the Nvidia nForce2 chipset), along with
> an Athlon XP 2600+, and tried to install Severn2.  Multiple
> times.  Each time it got partway into installing packages and
> then a kernel panic or freeze.
>
> I had hoped it would work, since I read (mis-read?) that
> the a7n8x runs on RH 9 without patches.  But that doesn't
> seem to be the case either - each time I try to do a
> gcc boostrap (on a different partition than the one I
> tried to install Severn2 on), gcc fails in a different way.
>
> My guess is some disk-related problem, such as DMA.
> (I have moved a jumper to disable SATA, so the kernel would
> not timeout for the non-existent drives.)  Any suggestions?

Hi Per

I use this board in my mailserver at work and it's been seamless since day
one. Admitedly it is RedHat 9 and I haven't disabled the SATA. I have
encountered bad asus boards though, the last one being a faulty AGP slot
with a bad pin. So checking the hardware as Alan suggested is a sensible
idea.

Bryan