Kernel Compile -- 802.11g Wireless 54Mbps PCMCIA Card

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 29 01:53:01 UTC 2003

I want to run an 802.11g wireless PCMCIA card under Linux, on my wife's
aging Sony Vaio PCG-F350 laptop. Luis Rodriguez let me know that this is
possible if I don't mind doing a kernel compile. I just compiled the
Fedora Core - provided kernel according to the instructions provided by
Luis at http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/802.11g/Documentation/ , and
then compiling and installing the drivers provided on that site (for the
Intersil 38xx chipset.) Essentially, a new pcmcia package is compiled
and installed.

So far -- so good! I have not popped in a wireless card yet, I will do
that tomorrow. However, the the laptop boots fine with the considerable
pcmcia changes.

Now to find a compatible pcmcia card -- probably the Netgear WG511 or
SMC2835W EZ Connect g 2.4 GHz 54 Mbps Wireless Cardbus Adapter -- and
see if I can get some action when I pop the card in. If the module loads
and I can set up encryption stuff, I'll head over to my Starbucks to
check it out.

I wonder if the card drivers will tell me when they detect available
wireless networks and what the SSIDs are?

--
Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA