HDC errors

ByteEnable ByteEnable at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 03:08:52 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 20:29, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I get the same messages on my Sony Vaio PCG-F350. I disabled the
> graphical boot so I could see the kernel messages. Got to see them with
> a test release. So much for graphical booting...
>
> Bob
>

> Nick Marsh wrote:
> > Why does fedora give a seek error on my system durring every boot.
> >

> > hdc: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdc: drive_cmd: error=0x04
> > hdd: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdd: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command
> >

> > nick marsh
> > nmarsh1 at mac.com

This means that the IDE driver had problems communicating with the IDE
controller.  Probably CRC error's (bad cable, bad hardware).  I'm
guessing that it probably starts out in DMA mode, then gets these errors
and reverts to PIO mode, thats why it goes away.  Do a hdparm -i
/dev/hdc and see what mode you are running in.

Byte