ext3fs crash

Rainer Hattenhauer Rainer.Hattenhauer at t-online.de
Mon Sep 29 06:36:04 UTC 2003

Hello Gordon,

>Boot into single user mode, make sure that the filesystem is mounted
>read-only (mount / -o remount,ro), and then force an fsck using Fedora's
>fsck (fsck.ext3 -f /dev/<device>).

>Afterward, you can use 'tune2fs -l' to see whether or not the device
>still has its journal.

Everything done, worked so far. I booted up using linux rescue from fedora
core CD 1, mounted my device /dev/hdf8 ro, did a chroot and went through
fsck.ext3 -f /dev/hdf8 and tune2fs -l /dev/hdf8. The filesystem is o.k., and
the journal is still avilable.
But after reboot, the bootmessage (using ext2fs instead of ext3fs) still
remains.

Could it be possible that the problem is due to fetching the old ram image
via initrd ?
I'm using grub from a SuSE installation, and there I need to define a
location for a initrd   / image.gz. (Sorry for my stupid descriptions, I'm
not so familiar with that kind of boot algorithms using initrd)

How can I create a new ramdisk-image for a fresh boot up, perhaps thats the
problem (?)

BTW: the process I want to get rid of before the crash was prelink, which is
automatically started by cron.daily. Takes to much time and is very
CPU-consuming (as an idle process), I noticed it yesterday on my laptop
where I did a fedora test2 install too, by now, there are no problems with
the laptop.

And sorry again for my naive descriptions

Rainer