How do ou get modules like ac and barrerty to load at boot time?

Joshua Legbandt jtlegbandt at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 29 09:04:47 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 22:36, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Stephen Moore (stephen at skmoore.com) said:
> > How do you get ACPI modules like ac and barrerty to load at boot time?
>
> Add them to /etc/rc.modules, /etc/rc.local, write your own init script,
> etc. Code will be added to do this in rc.sysinit in the next build of
> initscripts.
I added the following to my rc.local so that I can load modules from
either 2.4 or 2.6:

kern_maj_ver=`/bin/uname -r | /bin/awk -F. '{print $2}'`
kern_ver=`/bin/uname -r`
if [ "$kern_maj_ver" = "6" ]
  then
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/battery.ko
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko
    /sbin/insmod /lib/modules/$kern_ver/kernel/drivers/acpi/ac.ko
  fi
if [ "$kern_maj_ver" = "4" ]
  then
    /sbin/insmod ac
    /sbin/insmod battery
    /sbin/insmod fan
    /sbin/insmod processor
    /sbin/insmod thermal
fi

Thinking about it further, I was going to write an initscript that
detected whether acpi=on was passed to the kernel via grub and then load
the appropraite acpi modules for my system. I would think that an
initscript that could be turned off via chkconfig would be the best way
to go, but I'm not expert...

-josh

--
Joshua Legbandt <jtlegbandt at earthlink.net>