installing and selecting runlevel 3?

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Mon Sep 29 21:52:01 UTC 2003

On Monday 29 September 2003 16:57, Georg E Schneider wrote:
> If you can get a text-based console or boot up with "linux single" you
> can edit /etc/inittab thers a line
>
> id:5:initdefault:

OK, since I had some (my pilot error) problems with this, I have become very
familiar with now this works.

When you boot up and get the grub prompt to boot the system, type "e".  This
will bring up a screen with all of the grub lines in it.  Position (arrow
keys) to the "kernel" line and type "e".  You will now be presented with the
"kernel" line which you can edit.  Add "nogui 3" (I usually place this
between "ro" and "root=".  Be sure to leave a space between parameters.  This
are the command line parameters which are passed to /sbin/init and will bring
the system up in runlevel 3.  Not that firstboot will still run in gui mode
by starting X.

Note to vmware users:  With the new gui boot and gui firstboot, it is useful
to first bring things up in single user mode ("nogui single") -- you can then
install the vmware stuff for the guest.  If you then reboot, the gui stuff
such as firstboot will work properly.

Gene C.