ANNOUNCE: Severn Test 2 Anaconda Updates Image Available

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 22:27:18 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 23:34, Alan Cox wrote:
> > - Bugzilla #105148 - In GUI install 'No firewall' option was ignored
> > - Fixed an issue where lilo was being referenced (it is no longer shipped)
>
> Is this a permanent decision - Grub doesnt work with earlier intel desktop
> boards

This is not -- by chance -- one of the cases where using the "d"
parameter to GRUB's "install" command helps? From the documentation:

[...]
If the option `d' is present, the Stage 1 will always look for the
actual disk STAGE2_FILE was installed on, rather than using the booting
drive.
[...]

I think this should read "..., rather than using the drive GRUB thinks
it booted from." instead.

Whenever I had problems with GRUB, reinstalling the MBR manually from
the GRUB command line (from rescue CD or GRUB floppy) helped, e.g. like
this (with separate /boot on first disk, first primary partition:

root (hd0,0)
install /grub/stage1 d (hd0) /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 /grub/stage2 /grub/grub.conf
quit

HTH,
Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com