fedora and ntfs

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Sep 30 06:15:31 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 23:58, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > How can I use ntfs partition on my local disk in fedora?
> > mount say ntfs is not supported!
>
> Compile and install the ntfs kernel module. Perhaps somebody has already
> packaged one - look at the ntfs project on sourceforge.net.

This is a FAQ.

Proceed with extreme caution, and be *sure* you have a full Windows
ntbackup of that partition before you start. There is a strong
possibility that mounting that ntfs partition under Linux -- even in
read-only mode -- will cause irrepairable corruption. The risk increases
to near certainty if you exercise the read/write option. Unfortunately
the only safe way to access an NTFS partition is with Windows.

This is why the NTFS support is not provided in production kernels.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL