Fedora Test 2, DHCP

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma1 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 14:21:40 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 21:40, Vidyut Luther wrote:
[snip]
> either way.. now, after a few hrs, I seem to lose my gw, or something,
> as route takes forever to finish, and if I do a service network restart,
> things start working again immediately.
>
> I'm in San Antonio, I haven't tested this time out issue with windows, I
> just left for work so I've left the computer on in Windows bootup,
> letseee if it loses it's ip/gateway information there.. if so, then I
> know it's a time warner problem.. otherwise it might be a Test 2
> problem. If it is.. does anyone know what could be causing this ? Some
> sort of power management ? turns network card off ?.
> I'm using 3c509 card.

[snip]

FWIW, I'm connecting off an Internet Connection Share with DHCP, using
an orinoco_cs WLAN card, and the connection runs stably for up to 12
hours (I don't leave my computer on longer than that, sorry). Is the
problem duplicated in Windows? You might want to check your logs under
Windows, just in case it automatically re-request a DHCP lease.

Might be worth running /sbin/dhclient manually and see how long a least
Time Warner gives you.

HTH,

Michel