Dual boot FC2T2 and WinXP?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Apr 1 18:32:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 09:51, shmuel siegel wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 19:40, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>
> > I tried the "repair existing installation" option from WinXP
> > install CD, but that had no effect.
>
> I can't talk for WinXP but in Win2k and Win2003 you can also go into a
> console mode for repair. You can repair the loader and if you have to
> you can repair the MBR. If you repair the MBR, you will lose the ability
> to use grub to boot linux. I have had luck before just restoring the
> boot loader.

I had this happen when installing Core 2 Test 1
FIXBOOT did nothing to help.
FIXMBR made my bios reject the drive as bootable.

The situation inspired me to write this:
http://mpeters.us/linux/dualboot_grub.php

It's not a fix for the problem - but it's how to avoid it in the future.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/