Call Trace on boot

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 22:05:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 04:52:48PM -0500, Zach Wilkinson wrote:
> I think I fall into this category.  I don't understand Call Traces well
> enough to fill out a bug report.  Hell, I don't know even know how to use
> GDB.

Nor do most people who file bugs.

Quick guidelines:
-	Include a copy of the call trace (even if you dont know what it
	means someone else does)
-	If it is an error with a message include the exact message
-	And specify what you were doing

As to gdb, the minimal guide to gdb is this. Find app that is crashing,
from the command line

	gdb [appname]
	gdb> run [arguments to command]
	When it breaks
	gdb> where

and attach the data. Threaded apps are a bit trickier but uncommon,and
most bug reports are useful even without that kind of trace data.

If "select this and press that" breaks it, I can break my own copy.

Alan