selinux prob - can't log in via X/gdm

J. Scott Farrow jsfarrow at comcast.net
Fri Apr 2 05:57:17 UTC 2004

Since my last round of yum updates on test2 last night, I'm completely
unable to log in via X, either as my normal user, or as root.  I'm now
running kernel-2.6.4-1.300 and policy-1.9.2-1.

I've tried reloading the policies as Daniel suggested earlier, and also
tried running fixfiles, but it doesn't seem to be having an effect.  Gdm
still claims the home directory for both root and my normal login don't
exist.  /var/log/messages is filled with avc:denied errors such as:

Apr  1 18:19:48 pontifex kernel: audit(1080868788.135:0): avc:  denied
{ getattr } for  pid=1732 exe=/bin/bash path=/home/sfarrow dev=hde4
ino=32513 scontext=system_u:system_r:xdm_t
tcontext=system_u:object_r:user_home_dir_t tclass=dir

I thought I had read that running 'fixfiles' was the approved way to
reset these types of issues.  I definitely need to do more reading on
SElinux, as I'm obviously missing something.  Any suggestions for a
quick fix would be appreciated.

- J. Scott Farrow