[anaconda] Failed hard drive install

Brian Cain Brian.Cain at motorola.com
Fri Apr 2 21:53:39 UTC 2004

Greetings!

I tried a Fedora Core 2 (1.91) install this morning, but ran into some
trouble. I downloaded the DVD iso, checked the md5sum (it matched),
then mounted it via the loopback, and copied its contents onto an
(ext2-formatted) ATA hard drive partition (hde1). When I booted Fedora
(from a CD created from the images/bootcd.iso file), it claimed that no
installation media could be found, and that I needed a driver to be able
to access the hard drive (which I assume might be necessary for less
popular disk controllers that weren't compiled into the Fedora
installer's kernel -- scsi, e.g.). In the logs terminal, I could see a
bunch of lines that looked like

"devices[n]: MANUFACTURER MODEL ... hd<x> using ignore"

One of which was along the lines of

"devices[1]: WDC 80 ... hde using ignore (not ____)"

Sorry about the lousy error messages, this is all from memory. If it's
helpful, I'll gather more logs and quote them precisely.

So, the relevant details: hde is connected via a promise PCI controller
card, but I'm figuring that once it gets allocated a letter, the
kernel's already hip to it, right?  Do I really need to get a driver
disk, or is there some greater conspiracy afoot?

Is there any way for me to drop into a BusyBox, mount the hard drive
myself, and point the installer to a specific path?

BTW, I don't know if it matters, but apparently my video card wasn't
jiving with the installer, because it was curses-based, not X-based.  I
don't see why it'd have an impact on the install info, but I figured I'd
mention it.

I'm eager to become a Fedora zealot, so break out the cluestick!

-Brian