Advice for installing test2 if you are going to be saving files

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 18:52:48 UTC 2004

When installing test2, I have this suggestion if you don't want to lose new
data. They say not to run test2 on a production system, but you might want to
still use it as your main system and therefore you'll probably be saving files.
Beyond backup, I recommend partitioning your /var and /home into seperate
partitions, along with having a seperate disk in the same computer with an
older, more stable distribution on it as like a rescue distro supporting ext3
(Redhat 9 would be fine). Then you can mount the /var and /home individually
and rescue the data. I suggest this because there might come a time where you
can't boot in because of kernel panics. Also, don't use up2date to update your
kernel, use yum instead.

I wonder if, using this multi-partition scheme, you could just nix the "/"
partition and leave the other ones intact if reinstalling fedora core2 test2.
Has anyone tried this or does anyone know whether it would work? I might get a
chance to try it if I start getting kernel panics again. :-)