policy-1.9.2-9 causes kernel panic during boot

Fred New Fred.New at microlink.ee
Sun Apr 4 17:27:57 UTC 2004

In my FC2T2 system, I upgraded from policy-1.9.2-5 to policy-1.9.2-9 and ended up with (as I recall) the following files in /etc/security/selinux:

file_contexts
file_contexts.rpmnew
policy.
pllicy.16.rpmsave

With no guidance on what to do, I renamed file_contexts.rpmnew to file_contexts, but I left the policy files as they were.

Upon booting, init would fail to load the policy, this would be immediately followed by a kernel panic.  Could I have renamed one of the policy files to recover?  I have since re-installed FC2T2 (just for the practice).

By the way, in the above situation, appending "selinux=0" to the kernel parameters in the grub boot screen wouldn't allow me to recover.  It still attempted to load the policy; a kernel panic would again result.  Does this parameter actually do anything?

Fred New