Please turn SELinux off by default (was: Re: Howto turn off selinux?) (Douglas Furlong)

Brian Bober netdemonz at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 21:16:14 UTC 2004

Douglas Furlong wrote:

> The main reason this is turned on by default is to increase the amount
> of testing it receives before going mainstream in to a non test

I agree with this, and as its mentioned on the front page, testers shouldn't
complain. As for Core 2 final release, I don't think that there has been enough
testing, along with enough documentation, and any configuration tools to have
it enabled by default. Therefore, I think for the final non-test release, that
SELinux should be disabled by default. Especially important is more
documentation and a configuration tool, both of which don't exist. The FAQ
doesn't seem adequate and a lot of the new issues raised aren't on it yet,
along with enough information on diagnosing and solving a general SELinux
issue.

Furthermore, with the FAQ and the other documentation presented digested, I
still don't really have that good of an idea of what SELinux truly is. It seems
more geared towards kernel developers than end-users, IT people, or general
cross-platform software developers. This will not be a good thing to throw at
the non-testers. Part of the reason I'm testing is so I can see the internals
better because I'll be forced to. The non-testers don't always have this kind
of time or patience available to them. Please hold off until Core 3 to enable
it by default in anything but tests.