Alsa and SBLive background noise

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Tue Apr 6 00:23:02 UTC 2004

I have a problem with ALSA and background noise. whenever the sound
plays, I get this very annoying background noise if I check the sblive
analog/output jack (using gnome-alsa-mixer) I cannot uncheck this
because suddenly my master volume will only control the front speaker,
which means the volume control becomes useless. It is especially
apparent when I am watching movies and it is during the dialog, and when
a song fades out, when it becomes more prevalent. This alone has got me
wishing for OSS because I never had that problem with OSS.

I have googled to the ends of the earth looking for an answer. It seems
to be a recent phenomenon because I have seen people complaining about
the same with Mandrake 10.

Does anyone have information on how to get rid of this noise.