Sound messed up

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Wed Apr 7 23:47:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:08:04 -0700 (PDT), Brian Bober wrote:

> Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> >
> > check that the audio cable between cdrom and sound card is present and
> > correctly connected
> >

> I don't understand why Linux programs need that, whereas on Windows, its not needed.

There are two different ways to play audio CDs.  Get CD playing software
which is capable of reading out the audio CDs digitally.  E.g. XMMS's CD
Audio Player plug-in supports it and is included within Fedora Core "xmms"
package. Check the plugin's configuration (Preferences in XMMS) and choose
between analogue/digital. The former requires a cable. The latter not.