Plan for SPF in future default MTA?

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Thu Apr 8 01:18:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 20:58, Zach Wilkinson wrote:
> http://spf.pobox.com discusses a spam prevention system that requires
> MTAs such as Sendmail and Postfix to configured to check a senders
> authenticity.
> Is there any plan to enable SPF in future default or optional MTAs
> that ship with Fedora?

  I sincerely doubt it will happen any time soon for the simple fact
that it is far, far too early to consider it as a default feature.  The
specification isn't even finalized and is in somewhat of a state of
flux.  If it is being considered, I sure hope Red Hat takes the
wait-and-see approach.
  There's also significant opposition to SPF as it breaks forwarding and
the proposed solution , SRS (Sender Rewriting Scheme) has a long way to
go before enough administrators have confidence that it won't
effectively turn their mail systems into open relays even temporarily.
  That said, I have rpms of the sendmail-milter-spf perl script (with an
init script and other fixes) along with the necessary perl modules to
support it.  If anyone's interested, I can make these available.  They
are built and running on my FC1 mail server, but will probably rebuild
(if needed; most are noarch) just fine on FC2T2+updates.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator