comments from a late adopter

Thomas Molina tmolina at cablespeed.com
Sun Apr 11 16:14:57 UTC 2004

I've been sitting on the sidelines for ahwile since my scehdule hasn't
allowed me to devote time to dealing with test/selinux along with all my
other testing.  I hadn't wanted to make comments until I was fully up to
date.

I didn't have the problems some have noted with booting from disc 1.  I
noted no anomalies during boot.

Apparently the updating of the policy has been fixed since I ended up with
the right files.  It was a bit disconcerting to see policy.15, policy.16,
and policy.17.  I thought there would only be one, the latest version.

I saw that the default policy when installing was enforcing.  My initial
reaction is that permissive might be better until policy creation and file
permission gets nailed down for the new system.  I note there was not an
explanation in the left-hand panel to guide which choice to make.

When I first tried to log in as a normal user, I was denied.  I got a
message saying /home/tmolina did not exist.  It did exist, and was
mounted.  The problem was probably because it was on an existing
partition, mounted from another drive.  Maybe this was because the
filesystem it was on did not get labeled until later.  I hope this common
situation (filesystems mounted from other disks) gets addressed.

I am running in permissive mode at the moment.  I do have a couple of
ongoing avc denied issues, which I will address in separate messages.

Overall it looks good.  I am quite interested in learning selinux, and how
to decide and create policy.  At some point I may be required to actually
implement some of this at work.  This will be good, working out the bugs
in selinux.