comments from a late adopter

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Apr 12 06:46:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:45, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2004, Gene Smith <gds at chartertn.net> wrote:
> > What does labeling a fs from another drive do when that fs is run with
> > a non-selinux OS, e.g., rh 7.2?
>
> Nothing, I suppose.  It just adds xattrs to the filesystem.  The older
> kernel won't keep them consistent, so if you remove a file that has a
> label a newer fsck will complain that the shared xattr has an
> incorrect use count, but that's about it AFAICT.

There were several bugs in the early Ext2/3 XATTR code.  One particularly
nasty one was related to an XATTR on a symbolic link confusing the kernel
code and triggering a kernel panic.  SE Linux labels ALL active Inodes
including sym-links, so the typical result of trying to boot an old kernel
with a file system that had been used for SE Linux would be a kernel panic
the first time a system boot script starting with #!/bin/sh was run...

If you try sharing /home between an SE Linux installation and an installation
with an old kernel then it can only be expected to work if you have no
sym-links in /home.  If you refrain from using KDE and GNOME then it might be
possible to have no sym-links in /home.

Generally if you have a recent kernel on the non-SE installation then things
should be OK.  I'm not sure how recent it has to be though, certainly a lot
more recent than RH 7.2...