Re; 4KSTACKS again.

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 13 23:57:03 UTC 2004

Andy Ross said:
> William Hooper wrote:
>> This is a test release.  Period.  Yes, forget about the end user,
>> because this is a test release.  nVidia's drivers are a black box.
>> There is no way to tell if they are broken because of a change that a
>> developer made or a wrong assumption nVidia made.  Using developer
>> time to probe a black box with a stick is a waste of developer time.
>
> And I was _so_ careful to ask that no one flame over this issue. :)

No flame intended.
[snip]
> Mind you, I still think that's a poor idea;

It's a poor idea to keep up with the upstream kernel?

> especially if the feature
> gets pushed back to the 2.6.7-8 time frame and Fedora ends up stuck
> with a "3D-incompatible" kernel for ~4 months until FC3 comes out.

If...If Fedora Core 2 is "3D-incompatable" it will be squarely the choice
of ATI, nVidia, and anyone else that produces binary-only drivers.
[snip
> Pointing fingers at the
> prioprietary vendors may very well be justified, but when the
> "official" kernel still works fine out of the box, the argument sounds
> kind of empty.

That's the difference between testing what Fedora plans to ship and just
leaving a feature in to help binary driver makers.  There must be an
advantage to 4K stacks, so why should Fedora users have to suffer because
it will make more work for binary driver makers?  Until ATI, nVidia, etc.
choose to open their drivers they will break.  This is not a new issue,
and it won't go away.

--
William Hooper