Re; 4KSTACKS again.

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Wed Apr 14 07:35:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 06:25, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ben Steeves <bcs at metacon.ca> said:
> > I simply don't understand why the option has to be taken out early.  Why
> > not just ship a kernel with it turned on by default... wouldn't that be
> > equivalent?
Will someone in this thread please respond to the actual question being
asked instead of responding to the fact that the question was asked. The
questioner asked why was a feature taken out of the build process, not
why was a feature taken out of the precompiled kernel. It would seem to
me that this was a lot of work on the part of Redhat for what is
supposedly going to happen in the Vanilla kernel anyway. Hence, I
conclude that Redhat had a compelling reason to use its development
resources to make this change. What is that reason?
This question becomes stronger when we hear in this mailing list that
the policy of Fedora is to use unmodified upstream contributions
whenever possible. We are told Nautilus and ALSA should not be modified
by Fedora just because they chose options that Fedora users find
inconvenient.
Before I get flamed also, I want to give an example of what I would
consider a legitimate answer. If Redhat is not really working off of the
official kernel but is working off of the development kernel and that
kernel already has the 4kSTACKS option in its current Fedora form then
this is consistent with Fedora's objectives.