incoming ssh/sftp blocked by iptables

Graham King redhat at tremagi.org.uk
Thu Apr 15 14:38:51 UTC 2004

I usually install selecting "no firewall" and then create my own
iptables rules from scratch.  These are highly tuned to a machine with
six network interfaces, each of which has its own firewall requirements.

Please do NOT start making assumptions and silently altering firewall
settings from within /etc/rc.d/init.d/* or elsewhere.

I suggest that a way forward is to configure the Fedora-supplied
standard firewall settings to syslog (maybe with a limit) all dropped
and denied packets.  At least that way, sys admins would be alerted that
their firewall needs some maintenance.

-- Graham King