FC2 T2 and ATI fglrx

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sat Apr 17 20:23:33 UTC 2004

Hmm.  I never had a problem with agpgart loading.  FWIW, apparently it's
not necessary to load an external agpgart as a module if you have
"Option UseInternalAGPGART" set to "yes" in your X config file.  That's
how mine is set, so I'm probably not even using the loaded module even
though I load it from my modprobe.conf.  I can't help much with fglrx
module not loading; that works fine for me.  But I'm not even sure
*that's* necessary, either, as I've read reports that X will load the
module for you when it starts.

Due to an N x M problem  (kernel version/kernel settings/x server
version/x server settings/mobo chipset/ATI driver version/patches to ATI
driver/ATI card model), it's all very confusing; my setup basically just
happens to work accidentally.  It took me about 10 hours to get it
going.  I probably would have been better off buying another video
card.  But I found these resources helpful during the process:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2003/10/4/108847
http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php?identiferID=6532&action=flatview
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&forumid=18&threadid=164648
http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/
http://users.actrix.co.nz/michael/radeon9200.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-October/msg00862.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=759898
http://odin.prohosting.com/wedge01/gentoo-radeon-faq.html

I wish there was a magic "make it work" button, but there's not. :-(

- C