athlon64 cool&quiet / powernow-k8

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Sat Apr 17 21:40:36 UTC 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 16:53, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 16:26, Satish Balay wrote:
> > Apparenty some athlon64 motherboards (asus/msi/gigabyte) support
> > cool&quiet - and powernow-k8 appears to be the driver in linux for
> > this.
> >
> > The last I checked - this appears to be disabled in kernel options
> > (i686 kernel)
> > $ cat /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.326/build/include/config/x86/powernow/k8.h
> > #undef CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8
> >
> > Any word on supporting this in Fedora (1 or 2) (686 or x86_64)
> > kernels?  I don't have athlon64 machine - but curious about Fedora
> > support for this feature..
>
> FC1, no. backporting cpufreq to 2.4 constantly takes a lot of effort,
> and I'd rather devote those cycles to something more productive.
>
> FC2, its enabled in the 64bit build, but you're right, it is disabled
> for the 32 bit kernels. I've not heard from anyone actually testing
> it in this mode, so I've no idea how well it actually works, but
> it should be 1:1 with running it in 64 bit mode.

I was not aware of this capability so I did some googling and looking at the
kernel source.  I have an Opteron 140 running on an ASUS SK8V mobo so ... but
then i find:

1. Not enabled for x86_64
2. I cannot find any type of powernow-k8 driver module for configuration
option.
3. The utilities that I expect might be useful for this are in kernel-utils
for i386 are not in kernel-utils for x86_64.

This powernow stuff is a bit new to me so I just might be missing something.
Is there some doc of somekind that says what oit is suppose to do? The only
thing I can find so far is the kernel source and it is a bit cryptic for me.
--
Gene