[SPAM]yum / http proxy / downloads stop

Mark Howell mhowell at northlink.com
Sun Apr 18 23:24:26 UTC 2004

[snip]
> Hello all,
>
> Can't seem to find anything in the archives --
>
> Trying to update a FC1 box behind an HTTP proxy.
>
> I've set http_proxy, and yum generally works except for one
> annoying problem:
> Downloads of packages start well but then just stop (at some random
> percentage).  Sometimes they start again (after several
> minutes) .. sometimes
> they dont.  Hitting CTRL-C will sometimes wake up the
> transfer and it will
> begin to transfer again (usually from 0%).
>
> It generally takes several attempts to get the package downloaded.
>
> If I download the package directly from the FTP server (just
> using FTP through
> the proxy), everything works fine.
>
> Is this just a proxy thing, or do other people see this as well?
>
> -d

I've had the same trouble with both yum and up2date. I've assumed that it's
just overloaded servers. Find a mirror you like. I used mirrors.kernel.org
for a while but now it seems to be perennially out of date; now I'm using
dulug. (Thanks to you both, BTW!)

Unfortunately, the net is that most of the time I can steal to play/test
Fedora I spend wrestling with yum or up2date just to stay current enough to
bother reporting anything.

Cheers,

Mark.