rpm questions

Thomas Zehetbauer thomasz at hostmaster.org
Tue Apr 20 23:32:53 UTC 2004

> 	rpm -e --nodeps packagename  (repeat if needed)
> 	rpm --install packagename.rpm
> 	rpm --verify packagename.

Of course this needs an --allmatches for the --erase step and make sure
you don't remove any packages RPM depends on.

I ended up doing this for *many* packages after trying to update my
existing i386 installation to the AMD64 architecture. Maybe RPM could be
enhanced to do the first two steps in one operation. I would also
appreciate a rpm.static binary to aid recovery.

As posted before I am still getting --verify errors (mostly concerning
the timestamp of translations or documentation files) for some packages
which come in both 32 and 64 bit versions, e.g. popt. Is this expected?

Tom