kernel-2.6.5-1.332

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 10:29:32 UTC 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, Sean Bruno <sean.bruno at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> I installed the kernel update today on four different machines.  I
> haven't seen the kernel oops on the i686 boxes, but I am experiencing
> huge problems.

> 1.  On an SMP system(Dell PE 2650, Dual P4 2.6Ghz), the network
> connectivity to two of them(tg3) is extrememly slow and is dropping
> packets left and right.  I could barely get into the machines to change
> the grub.conf back to the previous release and reboot.

> 2.  On one of the SMP systems, NIS stopped working(maybe due to the
> network problems?.

> 3.  On a PIII 850Mhz, there are no problems with the intel 10/100
> adaptors and the system seems to be running fine.

> Can I provide any other feedback, or should I tag these problems onto
> bugzilla #121350?

The problem I've had on 5 different boxes was filesystem I/O.

strace showed lstat64 system calls would take forever to complete
(quite often 5-10 seconds); then a burst of progress was made and then
it came to a halt again.  Hard disk leds confirmed this access
pattern, except for one of the boxes that had two disks in RAID 1
resyncing, whose disk access was constant.  Very odd.