Desktop issues discussion proposal

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Apr 21 20:47:08 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 21.04.2004 schrieb Will Backman um 22:02:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:57, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Razvan Corneliu C.R. d3vi1 VILT (razvan.vilt at linux360.ro) said:
> > > 1) Menus. More is not the best solution, so it's out. We should try to
> > > create a replacement, because in some situations the menus are
> > > overwhelming.

If you refer "overwhelming" to Fedora, you should give SuSE / Novell a
try  :-)
(sorry, couldn't resist)

> > > 2) How many applications doing the same thing do we need? Having too
> > > many applications can be confusing. A new user (especially one that
> > > [...]
> > > Are there any other solutions, such as 2/3
> > > level menu tree?
> >
> > This are related. The answer is generally to just move stuff out of
> > Core, and into Extras.

But: You still have the problem to construct a menue structure which can
handle those stuff from Extras without compromising the core stuff and
without compromising easy and efficient usage!

> One difficult issue is the definition of the customer for fedora core.
> A single distribution for both home user and servers.  Many of these
> questions are traditionally answered through user studies, and I think
> there might be some confusion about who the customer is.  It may be
> difficult to hit the middle without disappointing both novice users and
> power users.

Very exact description of the problem. There will never be one best
solution. Personally, I'm quite happy with the RH9/Fedora Menue
structure.

But: Red Hat is disappointing power users (or at least well informed
users) much more as it is necessary. As an example: desktop context
menue (right mouse click). With RH8 you could configure it to show the
application menue. This functionality was removed with RH9. With Core 1
you had an entry to start a new nautilus window and to mount/unmount CD
and Floppy. This functionality has been removed in Core 2. Now you have
to move around your windows to access the new desktop icon. Quite
inconvenient! You could have preserved this functionality in the context
menue without confusing the novice user.

@Bill Nottingham: Is there a chance to get the Core 1 context menu back?

Peter